Tuesday, May 29, 2007

NEW MOON by Stephenie Meyer

It's been a while since I've done a book review. Gah, I'm ashamed to say that I've started many, but finished only a select few. What can you do? I'm still trying to make my way through CANDY APPLE RED by Nancy Bush... and several others that I've picked up along the way. The shelf over my bed is brimming with books I've purchased, read a couple pages of and tossed down.. Lack of time, mostly.. some lack of interest. But then, I started NEW MOON shortly after purchasing it, and couldn't get into it. This time, I couldn't put it down. Sometimes you gotta be in the right mood.

Okay...here we go. If you want to see my review of TWILIGHT (the first book in the series), it's in the archives. Just a reminder -- this is a YA paranormal.

Brief Synopsis: Isabella (Bella) Swan (human) and Edward Cullen (vampire) are happily finishing their senior year of high school -- Bella's first of course, Edwards umpteenth. Under a conviction that he is no good for her and putting her in too much danger, Edward breaks things off with Bella. He and his family of vampires take off to parts unknown. Bella is a wreck when he leaves, and slowly starts to come out of her funk--with the help of her new best friend, Jacob Black. Jacob's got a secret of his own, though. Mayhem and hormones once again ensue as Jacob tries to win Bella's broken heart.

I just have to start by saying that this sophomore effort is leaps and bounds better than the first book. I honestly think there's something to be said for the amount of skill and technique you pick up along the way. All of the revisions to please your agent, your editors, etc. etc. have got to be a HUGE step in your writing education. This just goes to prove that. I look at some of my favorite series and you can definitely tell a difference between the early and later books.

I felt that it was well plotted out -- extremely well-written. It had a great depth of emotion, not to mention it was much darker than the first book. When Bella was in trouble, man... I was on the edge of my seat.

Now, don't get me wrong -- there were flaws. (g) One of the things that drives me nuts is when I can figure out the big secret long before it's revealed in the book and the MC is still fanning about, completely clueless. I figured out the "big surprise" very early on. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing, but for me, I like mystery. I don't mind the surprise twist that I didn't see coming. Oh well -- it was still very enjoyable.

One great thing about this book -- although Bella was a mess in the beginning and tended to whine a lot about these weird imagined holes in her chest (post Edward leaving), she was the old Bella I liked. Granted, she still gets into more trouble than any 10 characters combined. Let's just say the girl doesn't think her actions through very well. However, I thought she was far less annoying -- her pain was real and I felt for her.

Jacob is a great character. He was funny and kind... and well, he's like 6'5" and a hottie.. NOTHING wrong with that. (g)

Edward was a bit more restrained in this book as well. All of his annoying mood swings were pretty much gone. Of course, he wasn't present in the book much... that could account for it. LOL.

Overall, a very enjoyable read -- enough twists and turns to keep the momentum going. I picked it up last night and seriously, I couldn't put it down. And the ending... MAN. I need the next book to come out..NOW. (g)

Buy or Rent? BUY, people! :)

No comments: