Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Woo-Hoo!

I stopped by Target on my way home from class today and ran across STRAY by Rachel Vincent. I don't personally know her, but I know a lot of you do. So, I'm super-vicariously excited to recognize a name on the Tarjay shelves. And of course, I had to buy it because my new fascination with werewolves simply wouldn't let me walk away. It'll be interesting to read -- although, technically her character is a shape-shifter, and I'm not sure how much she ties that into actual werewolf legend. I find the way different authors handle that whole thing very interesting. Stephenie Meyer, for instance, put a whole 'nother spin on the vampire thing. I, in my own modest way, am doing the same thing with werewolves. Hey, my book, my rules. (g)

Oh wait -- Rachel's MC is a were-CAT. Oops...I should read the back cover a little more carefully next time. Oh well - close enough. (g)

Well, it was bound to happen, and it did. (g) A reader HATED the ending to BTPM. LOL. It made her so angry in fact, she said she would've thrown the book at the wall and blatantly refused to buy the next. LOL. That's not good. (g) So, it sort of confirms the fear I had about it to begin with -- but 1 out of 10 or so readers ain't bad.. of course, if I can do anything to satisfy that 10%, you know I will. We've tossed some ideas around, and I think I've come up with a solution. I'll probably be working on that today. It's not good to go from "I couldn't put the damn thing down" to "WTF?!?!" *bam -- book hits wall*. Yeah, if I can avoid that... lol.

I still haven't decided what to do with my opening chapters... gah, that's such a tough call, but I've vowed I will make a decision SOON. I'm sick of second guessing myself and freaking out about it. I keep telling myself (and not to sound like a total twit) that I had quite a few people give me hell over the opening to FAKING IT. And well, I stuck to my guns and it ended up catching D.A's attention. So, I guess I need to go with my gut on this. Hard to trust myself, sometimes. (g)

Okay, I need to get to work.

No comments: