Friday, July 6, 2007

Cha, Right!

I just finished watching The Fountain. I don't quite _get_ the movie -- and I can't believe I watched it all the way through when I have a gazillion other movies I could've watched instead. LOL. OH well. It seems I always manage to watch the weird ones -- guess I believe they'll get better if I hang on long enough.

Anyway, the reason I mention it is because one of the central plot elements revolved around this book one of the MC's is writing. I found this particular bit one of the most far-fetched (that's saying something) elements in the movie. Why? Because the book was written -- by hand -- in one of those nice leather bound notebooks -- with the little leather ties, and such? You know the ones? Anyway, the script was perfect -- the pages neat -- no smudges... no white out... no arrows leading to text written in the margins when the author forgot to add a sentence. LOL. Isn't that true fiction at its best?

It made me laugh thinking about my manuscripts and all of the incarnations they've seen. I still have all of the "while you were out" slips that I wrote big chunks on -- mixed in with the register tape from the grill where I worked... I have various sized scratch paper, receipts, backs of envelopes... anything and everything I could find to scribble out this bit of dialogue or that image.

Then I transcribed it all into my computer.

With that came the numerous print outs... the cutting and paperclipping of scenes together... the numerous red markings as I tried to fix my problem areas, etc. The sticky notes, the flags, the highlighting... I probably have a few reams of printouts of one version or another... I keep vowing to shred them, but can't seem to make myself do it. LOL.

Anyway, my point? The neat little notebook presented in this movie -- it really made me laugh, shake my head, and say, "Cha, right!" :)

No comments: