Monday, October 8, 2007

KETURAH AND LORD DEATH by Martine Leavitt

So, I've been a reading maniac... I now have six book reviews to get caught up on. I thought I'd try doing two a day until I catch up. Maybe more if I can manage and don't get sidetracked with another book. (g)

Okay...first up... Keturah and Lord Death by Martine Leavitt

Brief Synopsis: Keturah follows a Hart into the woods one day and becomes lost and left on the brink of death. She meets Lord Death, staving him off by striking a bargain. She tells him a story, and will only tell him the end if he allows her one more day of life and time to warn her village of the oncoming plague that he has warned her about. In that time, she must also find her one true love, the one thing she regrets never having found--or face eternity as Lord Death's wife.

One word to describe this book: BEAUTIFUL.

I loved it! It has this classic fairy tale feel to it. Even though I could guess the ending, I never really knew for sure -- and was left on edge as she continually tries to save her loved ones and to find her true love.

Okay, so the "magic" she enlists to find her true love was a bit creepy. I won't tell you what it is, but I thought it was one seriously gross method. (g) But it's something I so could've seen happening in any of the classic fairy tales from when I was a kid.

I love the message--sometimes love is something you can't control. And sometimes your true love is someone you least expect them to be.

I'm sure there's much deeper stuff in there, but I just read and enjoyed. I'm a terrible judge of what is appropriate for what ages, but I think this would be a great gift for tweens and up...it deals with some pretty heavy issues (death, love, sacrifice), but is truly beautifully told. Made me cry. :)

Buy or Rent?? BUY.

No comments: