Wednesday, January 9, 2008

2008

Well, I don't know how I'm going to top 2007. A book on the shelf would definitely do it, though. (g) Anyway, thank you all for your kind words after my year in review... means the world and I still get all misty when I think about it. :)

Yanno, I hate making New Year's resolutions. I'm not sure why, but I think it has to do with the negative connotations that go hand in hand with such a list. I mean, let's be honest...everyone expects you to fail at one if not all of them before the the end of January. No matter how many times I say I'll save my money and be less frivolous...it never happens. (g) A-book buyin' I will go...and then blam, I'm scraping my pennies together to get through the end of the semester. However many times I say I'll read all of my class assignments on time and outline early...yeah, not a once have I actually done it.

So yeah...no resolutions for me. Promises, perhaps? Yeah...promises. Here's a list of things I'm going to do this year.

1. Finish FAKING IT. Whether or not it will be good enough to please DA, it's going to be finished. I'm shooting for the end of January for the SFD, but if not then...soon after. I'll keep working until it's complete and then I'll shine it up and send it. No second guessing, no constant worrying over whether I'm good enough. Cuz it IS good enough, dangit. (g) (Positive thinking.)

2. Finish BY THE PALE MOONLIGHT. I'm frustrated that I haven't completed its revisions yet. It seems every time I go in to look at this book, I'm too overly critical and start ripping scenes apart...never quite "getting it right" in my eyes. I need to realize it's GOOD and just bite the bullet and send it. It shouldn't take long to finish this one up. Not once I really get going. But however long it takes, it will be done in the next 2-3 months -- DEFINITELY before school is out.

3. I will graduate law school. (Yipee and WOOHOO!) I have no idea what I'm going to do after I walk across that stage, but dangit...I have an entire semester to work that out. And I'll know what the best course is when I see it.

4. Start and complete a third novel. Not sure what it will be. There are several vying for attention, but I think I'll leave it open for now. Discuss it with DA when he sells one of the others. (Heh, more positive thinking.)

5. Start a fourth novel. Yeah, I'm shooting for big things this year. (g) But I can see working on both NARC 2 and WALKING IN SHADOW. If not, there are others waiting on the sidelines. I'm optimistic, but that's how I roll. And FWIW, NARC 2 is almost a third completed already.

There are lots of personal goals...the usual suspects, but I won't bother to list them here. One is that I would REALLY like to attend SIWC this year. I don't know if it's possible, but if I can, you know I'll be there. :) I want to meet my forumite buds...and well, yeah... I just really want to. (g) But as I said above, I'm rather frivolous with my money. (w)

4 comments:

Precie said...

Oooooh, Surrey! Must add that to my wish list for 2008! Maybe I can make that my reward for finishing a novel! Oooooh!

And I have no doubt you'll achieve these!

moonrat said...

just one question--how the HECK do you have time for law school AND everything else?!?! amazing.

Jennifer Hendren said...

Precie,

Thanks! Oh man, it would be great if we could both make it. :) I'm not holding my breath, tho...I've tried the last two years and haven't made it yet. And with school ending and new jobs starting...and student loan bills kicking in...UGH. Yeah. (g) DA MUST sell a book for it to happen, methinks. LOL. (Maybe 2009?)

Jen

Jennifer Hendren said...

Moonrat,

I get very little sleep, and to quote Libba Bray... there's lots of crying involved.

Nah, I live for my breaks. Write like a madwoman and collapse at the end. Or I push school stuff back to write, and then play catch-up. Not fun, but you do what you gotta do. (g) But it's almost over (YAY).

Jen