Tuesday, March 11, 2008

FWIW

After hearing several good things about GILEAD by Marilynne Robinson, I decided to give it another try. (Yeah, I know...I've been busy and didn't get around to acting on my impulse to return it.) (g)

Anyway, I'm about 50 pages in. It's not a super exciting read, but it does have a quiet subtlety to it that is invoking some really strong images and memories. I'm sure there's a much better term for what I mean, but you know when you read certain things and it stirs up a memory from your childhood? This book does a really great job of invoking the sensation of a really hot day...weeds...insects buzzing...you're uncomfortable, but...carefree in a way you rarely get to experience as an adult.

Makes me nostalgic for days spent at my grandparents' house. Those day-long explorations of the "great woods" beside their house, which in reality wasn't much more than a strip of weedy grass and a few trees giving much needed shade...

Awww, lazy days in Nebraska. (g)

Anyway, the I/you said crap from the first page ended there... Just so you know. (g)

6 comments:

Tara Parker said...

I'm about 40 pages into it. It's a little weird, but the imagery and anecdotes are definitely engaging.

I do find myself skipping over parts, though. I tend to read fast, so I have to force myself to go back and read slower, which is a little frustrating.

I'm also reading "Looking for Alaska", by John Green. Have you read that yet?

This is due to YOU, by the way. After being buried in Maureen Johnson's blog for a week and a half, I wandered over to the Brotherhood 2.0 project and now I'm hooked on that!!!

Jennifer Hendren said...

Tara,

Yeah, it's definitely a subtle, slow read. I've never been able to speed read or skip over parts -- yup, I read every word, though my mind may tune out. Then I have to go back and reread, lest I missed something important. The curse it is to be me. (g)

And no --haven't read LOOKING FOR ALASKA. Haven't even heard of John Green -- is it YA?

And LOL about Maureen Johnson. (g) Glad to know I'm leading you to new addictions. :)

Jen

Tara Parker said...

John Green is apparently friends with Maureen Johnson, Justine L., Scott Westerfield (?), etc. "Looking for Alaska" won the Printz award, along with (I think) "An Abundance of Katherines". He writes YA. If you look up Brotherhood 2.0, it's him and his brother, Hank video blogging to each other just about every day for the 2007 year. Very clever and highly entertaining.

I kind of see this little group as the new Alonquin Circle - YA style!! (g)

Jennifer Hendren said...

Tara,

Cool -- I'll have to look for it.(g)

How's GILEAD going for you? I'm at about pg 80 or so now. There's a story about a road that cracked me up to no end. (Won't get too specific in case you're not there yet.) (g)

Jen

Tara Parker said...

I'm about at page 50. I didn't get a chance to read last night - little man went to bed late. So far, it's keeping my interest.

I was a little confused - still am, I guess. John is in his 70's and his son is around 7? Or do I have that totally wrong?

Jennifer Hendren said...

Tara,

That's what I've gotten from it. Late bloomer. (g)

Jen