Friday, May 16, 2008

I've Been Tagged

Ive been tagged by Precie with a miscellaneous meme.

1. The rules of the game get posted at the beginning.
2. Each player answers the questions about themselves.
3. At the end of the post, the player then tags 5-6 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know they’ve been tagged and asking them to read the player’s blog.
4. Let the person who tagged you know when you’ve posted your answer.

A Meme about Various Things

What were you doing ten years ago?

Good grief. *thinks back* Okay, I was in my undergrad program (criminal justice). I believe that at about this time, I was interning at the public defender's office, working for their in-house investigator. That entailed tracking down defendants and witnesses (sometimes they were in jail) and interviewing them for their pending cases. It was GREAT fun though I was more than a bit uncomfortable going into the prisons alone (which I had to do on occasion). The investigator was cool--he carried a gun which made me feel great when we were together, not so great when I went out alone. LOL. Thankfully that wasn't often.

I was also serving as resident assistant in my residence hall on campus. This particular year, I'd been assigned to the freshmen girls' dorm--that means I got very little sleep, spent a lot of time telling people to quiet down, and handled just about every potential problem you can think of--date rape, suicide attempts, extreme alcohol intoxication, pregnancies.... yeah, it was a BUSY, BUSY time, but I learned so much. On top of that, I was also volunteering for our local rape/spouse abuse hotline (I usually pulled the midnight to four am shift). Gah, where did I get the energy??

What are five things on your to-do list for today (not in any particular order)?

Write.

Work on my thank-you notes for graduation.

Work at the restaurant tonight.

Crazy, but I MUST finish The Golden Compass. It's driving me nuts. I've attempted to watch it several times, but I always fall asleep (not because I'm bored, but from exhaustion).

It's a moral imperative to at least start THE HOST. (g) It just arrived in the mail.


What are some snacks you enjoy?

Ice Cream!!!

Dip. All sorts -- with fruit, veggies, chips, crackers. You name it.

Cheez-its.


What would you do if you were a billionaire?

Pay off my bills and enjoy the feeling of not being in debt anymore. (g) After I enjoyed that for a while, I'd travel and write. Ah, that would be the life. There's all kinds of charitable things I'd do for friends and family, too -- too many to list. But suffice it to say I'd be doing it from some exotic locale. (g) I'd buy a home, too...don't know where. But everyone needs a place to kick up their feet and relax.

What are three of your bad habits?

Procrastination.

Letting self-doubt override my confidence, therefore finishing nothing.

Disorganization.

What are five places where you have lived?

Top five -- Chicago, Nashville, Kansas City, Los Angeles, and Lincoln.

What are five jobs you have had?

Undercover drug investigator, surveillance investigator, Waitress (at many, many restaurants), Student (does this count? It should. (g)), and clerical worker (at many, many offices).

What were the last five books you read?

HALFWAY TO THE GRAVE by Jeaniene Frost
ONE FOOT IN THE GRAVE by Jeaniene Frost
CRIME AND PUNISHMENT by Fyodor Dostoevsky
WHISKEY SOUR by J.A. Konrath

I'm also in the middle of reading MONSTER by Frank Peretti.

What are five web sites you visit daily (in no particular order)?

Facebook

Compuserve Books & Writers Forum

Erm, do my email and blogger count? LOL. I've been kind of scarce on the web lately.


Okay...*rubs hands together*

I tag Helene, Elizabeth, Kat, Jenna, and Beth.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Jen!
I'm soooo excited to be tagged -- I'll get it done ASAP!

LOL on 'Golden Compass' -- unfortunately, IMO, it should get the 'Anti-To Kill a Mockingbird' award as the lousiest adaptation ever. Visually great, casting and effects excellent -- but changes made to story were due to director/screenwriter ego, not necessity in the adaptation process. Much as I loved the casting, I would not bother watching this film a second time. But I put the books in the 'Diana Gabaldon' category as far as re-readability goes -- in other words, will NOT lend my copies out!

Jennifer Hendren said...

Elizabeth,

YAY -- can't wait to see your answers. :)

And I managed to tick GC off my list this afternoon. Dude, what was up with that movie?? The ending was really abrupt, so I'm assuming there's a sequel. LOL. Weird. I can tell just from watching it that the book is MUCH better. I'll put it on my shopping list. The visuals were pretty great, but yeah...it was a bit choppy, IMHO.

Jen

Jenna said...

Dude, you tagged me and I've responded...though man my answers were nowhere near as good as yours lol.

Oh! And I posted them on my new blog. :-D

Jennifer Hendren said...

Jenna,

YAY...hope you plan on updating your blog often. :)

Jen

Precie said...

Thanks for playing, Jen!!

Yanno, I've always wanted to volunteer for an abuse hotline...but I don't think I have the fortitude for it. Aside from the late nights, how did you manage to keep all that heinous stuff (and the stresses of your freshman residents) from getting you down?

Jennifer Hendren said...

Precie,

I have no idea. (g) I think it's my natural goofiness and upbeat attitude (most of the time). There were times when it was just SO much--that's when I vented to my residence director and friends...

Nothing beats the training you get for a hotline, tho... I truly learned SO much and it really helps equip you to deal with a lot of crisis situations that might happen in your everyday life. You should TOTALLY do it. :)

Jen