Thursday, June 19, 2008

THE BEEKEEPER'S APPRENTICE by Laurie R. King

Can you hear that? Yup -- that's a happy sigh you heard. I loved this book. Simply loved it. This is the first time in a while I've finished the first book in a series and wanted to rush out to immediately get the next. (Erm, it's 2am, so I don't think that will be happening. Drat. (g))

If you like historicals, mysteries, and a good dose of witty repartee, you'd probably love this book, too.

Brief Synopsis: Sherlock Holmes (yes, that Sherlock Holmes) has retired to a countryside manor where he meets one Mary Russell, a fifteen year old spitfire who is able to match his wit blow for blow. Intrigued by this young woman, he takes her on as his apprentice, teaching her all of the tricks of his former trade--skills that come in handy when they find themselves being hunted by an unknown enemy who is able to anticipate their every move.

Okay, let me list what I loved about this book:

1. Their witty banter. They are simply great together. But underneath all of their verbal sparring they have such a deep respect and love for each other. There were moments when I had to put the book down and just sort of soak it all in. Lovely. Truly. I can't wait to see where it goes. And no, it's not romantic -- he's nearly three times her age. (g) It's a father/daughter relationship -- so sweet.

2. The prose. It jumped off the page and put me right in the middle of it all. There is one section of the book where they travel to Jerusalem and it made me long to be there -- so beautifully worded and crafted. Jealous. I'm very jealous. (g)

3. The secondary characters were fantastic -- notably dear Watson, who was presented as a bit of a bumbling, but extremely kind-hearted, fool. I've never read the Sherlock Holme's mysteries, but I think the collected works is going on my to buy list. I simply need to get to know them as they were originally written. I KNOW this book will be going on the list.

4. I didn't see the ending coming, but all of the clues were there. I like that feeling of wanting to slap my forehead for failing to spot them. (g)

The first quarter of this book was mostly narration. Interesting, but I'll admit I was almost put off by it. I'm so glad I stuck by it, though. I'm not sure when I fell in love with this book, but it happened. If you try it, do give it time. :)

Buy or Rent? Buy, buy, buy! :)

I wonder which book is next...

No comments: