Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Mini-Reviews

As I said in a previous post, I've been reading up a storm. (g) I really need to stop slacking and get to work on FI, so that's my goal for this afternoon. In the meantime, here are some quick reviews of the books I've gulped down during the past couple of weeks.

FEARLESS FOURTEEN by Janet Evanovich -- I actually liked this a lot more than I thought I would--simply based on the reviews I heard. It's extremely fast-paced (almost too fast in parts), but actually tied up rather well. I would agree that it wasn't as funny as some of her others--and, gah, Ranger was almost an afterthought (seriously, we need something to happen--soon). Overall, tho, I enjoyed it. It was a nice, fun, light read that kept my mind off things.

DEVILISH by Maureen Johnson -- This one is about a high school student who discovers her best friend has sold her soul to the devil in order to become popular. In order to save her, she makes her own deal and gets into all kinds o' trouble. This one was okay. I didn't love it, didn't hate it. The characters are well drawn, but the devil character was a little too...hmm, random is the best word I can come up with. But it's a page-turner, and light...so yeah, it's enjoyable and worth a read.

A DANGEROUS MOURNING by Anne Perry -- LOVE LOVE LOVED this one. This is a must-read series, imho. :) A young widow is murdered and all evidence suggests it was one of her family members who killed her. Inspector Monk recruits Hester Latterly to go undercover (yay) as a nursemaid, and _everyone_ looks guilty. (g) I loved it (repeat yourself much, Jen? (g)). Again, a lot of historical detail, without beating people over the head with it...and characters that are so richly drawn. I sank right into this book.

SHUTTER ISLAND by Dennis Lehane -- A patient has gone missing at the Ashcliffe mental institute and Teddy Daniels and his partner have been called in to investigate. What they find is a bunch of clues that lead them to believe there's more going on than meets the eye -- in other words, the mental institute isn't just treating patients, but perhaps....experimenting on them. Throw in a hurricane, and...Muhahaha. I liked this book. It was intriguing and had all kinds o' twisty plot turns. The ending was pretty surprising. LOL. Not sure I could've seen it coming while I was reading, and it was more than a little far-fetched...but still. Enjoyable. I liked the characters a lot and the writing, as always, was superb. Lehane was able to create another great world -- this time set in the 1950's -- that felt very authentic. So different than MYSTIC RIVER, and I respect his ability to create such differently colored books.

Surely I must've read more books than this.... Oh, I'm in the middle of THE GUNSLINGER by Stephen King, and got about halfway through another that I just had to give up on. (blech) OH OH OH..and I got MY LORD AND SPYMASTER by Joanna Bourne the other night. I'm listed in the acks!! Me, MY name in lights (so to speak). (g) Too cool for school.

Anyway, off to try and get some words in. We'll see how it goes.

No comments: