Saturday, October 18, 2008

Come One, Come All!

Jenna and I have decided to start an "accountability circle." What is an accountability cirlce, you ask? Well, the basic idea is to pull together a group of writers who will cheer each other on, try to keep each other on task, and well, hold each other accountable for slacking off. (Not that we would ever do that, mind. Okay, yes, yes, we would.)

So, here's what I'm thinking. Each week we set a few goals for ourselves--and we publish them for everyone to see. And well, if we meet those goals at the end of the week, GREAT. That's the goal. Now, if we don't...there will be a reckoning of some sort. (VBG)

Now, I'm not talking a hundred lashes at dawn. I'm talking little tasks or things we must do to vindicate our clear lack of effort. (I'm taking this straight from Brotherood 2.0, btw -- not that I think waxing any part of our bodies should be a viable option. Nor that Strawberry Hill nonsense. That's just Medieval.)

No...a couple of ideas, off the top of my head:

1. An ode to...well, ME, should I be the one choosing...

2. Or my personal favorite pick for Jenna -- make her write AND mail a fan letter to Johnny Depp.

Writing punishments are ideal, but they certainly do not encompass all the possibilities.

We could even do a snip circle to see and read what each of has accomplished in any given week.

So, what say you? Do we have any takers?

We'd definitely need a cool name, too....*thinking*

11 comments:

Rachel Walsh said...

I'm in. I have too many reasons not to write, and I need a more reasons _to_ write, to counterbalance. Could my punishment be to write to Hugh Jackman? Please? (g)

Jenny said...

I'm in. Lord knows I've _got_ to stay on track with this. And I work best under pressure. *g*

Anonymous said...

I don't know about writing fanmail... VBG but otherwise, I'm in! I need a kick in the pants.

Jennifer Hendren said...

Girls,

Yaaaaaay!! Cool deal. Mission: Acct. Circle has commenced. Are there any specific things you'd like to have us include in the "rules?" And when I say rules I mean rough guidelines. (g)

Is there day you'd prefer for the "check-in" day? Sundays work really well for me, but I'm sure whatever day we pick would work. Let me know what you think!

Jen

Anonymous said...

I vote for either Sunday night or Monday. I do a lot of my writing on the weekend, so I don't usually have a lot to report until then. As for rules, the scientist in me dictates that the goals we set be specific and measurable--i.e. "I will write 2000 words this week," or "I will finish Chapters 4 and 5" or something like that. That way it's very clear whether we did or did not meet our goal.

Anonymous said...

Am I too late to join in, too? I have been _so_ slack with my writing in the last month or so and I really need some kind of accountability (read: threat of kick up the a$$) to keep me on the straight and narrow.

I also like the idea of a snip circle. That means we have to come up with _something_ each week, and I like snips. *g*

Deniz Bevan said...

me! me! I definitely need a kick in the - well, anywhere! Wasn't I supposed to be writing during this entire vacation? ha! Monday checkin would work well for me...

Tara Parker said...

Am I too late to throw in?

After Surrey, I'll need all the punishment I can get to stay on track. (g)

Christina Graham Parker said...

Count me in! I vote for reporting in on Monday.

Precie said...

psst--Can I play too?

Cindy said...

Hi,

Can I join? My goals will be small, but this is precisely what I need right now.